Friday, May 18, 2012

The Elevator.

                                              

A few days ago after leaving  class on the fourth floor, I decided to take the elevator  inside of the usual stairs. I also had a test in  ten minutes so I figured,I might as well take the elevator. Everything turned for the worst when I saw  the bottom of the elevator line was not lined up with the floor;but it was already too late.The elevator door was already closed. I attempted to be the hulk by trying to push the door to open. Unfortunately, that did not work. I pressed the red button  twice and this monotone security guard answered asking "how can I help you?" Out of all voices to hear when you're in a mini crisis. I told her I was stuck in the elevator.She said help would be on the way in 10  minutes. I was calm,but then suddenly every second of the ten minute wait seemed even longer.
I started to think of the elevator survival scenes from the movies. You know,the ones where you have to somehow climb out to the top  of the elevator where the ceiling was. I thought to myself, how could I achieve this task with a heavy Northface bag with a textbook in it. Then I started thinking, "I have limited amount of air supply."  Then I finally thought, how am I going to explain this story to my professor when I'm late.She's probably going to think I'm just making excuses for being late after-all, I had no witnesses. Anyways, I ten minutes passed and the elevator door opened and I was sooo RELIEVED. Now I know how it feels when people are trapped in the elevator for hours. Your body and its epinephrine and nonepinephrine (adrenaline) are being released by the adrenal gland. You then respond in a "fight" or "flight" manner. I also learned that situations like being trapped in the elevator create phobias when can lead to mental issues or "episodes". Sometimes I think what if this elevator gets stuck,but thankfully I am not prettified at the thought of taking the elevator. Do you have any elevator stories?


No comments:

Post a Comment